Thursday, October 23, 2014

Pumpkin Pie, Oh My!

As previously mentioned, I love pumpkin and apple pies. Today I’ll be showing you one of my favorite pumpkin pies to make with my family. Pumpkin pie is one of the most traditional foods you can eat on Thanksgiving and my family is VERY into traditions. Every Thanksgiving we visit Grandma and Papa Beach on Balboa Island in Newport Beach, California. All my cousins live in the area so they aways join us!  We have turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and my Papa always has to have creamed onions - which I don't care for too much!  He is always in charge of the turkey every year and he is the one who carves the turkey right before dinner. He makes an extra one for leftovers for the next days lunch! My dad always hangs around while he is carving and steals bites before dinner.  

My mom is in charge of decorating the table and we always bring fall leaves from Park City to sprinkle on the table.  My cousin, Colleen, and I make place cards, assign everyone their seats, and write the menu on a big chalkboard. When the rest of the family has arrived, all the cousins play games while the aunts and uncles watch football.  When we are all seated around the table, we go around and everyone says what they are thankful for in their lives.  At then end of the meal, we all enjoy pumpkin pie with chipped cream and apple pie a la mode.  It is the best way to end a great day celebrating family and all of our blessings.  Hope you have a Thanksgiving to look forward to as well this year!  
Photo thanks to: Pauper's Corner

RECIPE:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 can (15 oz.) pure pumpkin
1 can (12 fl. oz.) evaporated milk
1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell

Whipped cream (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
MIX sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
POUR into pie shell.
BAKE in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment